Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Power of Play!

   I am reading a book called The Power of Play by David Elkind.  I actually read the book a few years back, but decided it would be a good refresher for me to read it again!  As the title suggests the author shares his beliefs and studies on children and spontaneous and unstructured play.  It is a good informational read! The author spends time discussing the importance of making your own "authentic" parenting choices instead of being influenced by "what society (this includes in-laws or peers) says we should be doing or not doing as parents.  I know it's often confusing as parents when there is so much unsolicited advice coming your way.  I do know from experience that it is so worth sticking with what you believe is best for your child!  After all, you know your child best!  Just that you choose our Natural Learning group for your child means to me that you are truly parenting authentically!   Just wanted to share that. 

  

  We welcomed two new families to our group this week.  Welcome to Windy and Audrey and Martha and Tilly!  It is exciting to see our group grow! So happy to have you.      

   We started our day inside the warm and toasty "indoor classroom" this week.  My daughter Kristen was happy to visit and meet the children.  





We played with play dough.  Scissors and playdough are so much fun and it helps with those fine motor skills!


 Creations in the kitchen.  Abigail was excited to show me her labeled cucumber!


 Carson and Kaylee were dressed to go to a "ball."  They said they needed a prince and some music though.

 I brought out one of my favorite children's books: The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson.  The children loved it as much as I do.



 

And the children wrote.....

They wrote meal orders in the kitchen... 




They wrote stories of their own....


And Audrey wrote her name.  Each of these children are learning about print in meaningful situations (through play which is what makes sense to them)!  The power of play!  




We put on puppet shows......





Some of us bundled up and headed outside.  We made winter bird treats for the hungry birds.  We decided the squirrels may love them too.



 




We played with a sand and cornstarch mixture in our sensory tubs.





We had lots to share....










We ended our day with a few stories and our goodbye song.


BIG NEWS!

 I know many of you are waiting for our second day to be added!  It looks like FRIDAY will be the best choice for most people (sorry if it doesn't work for you all).  We will begin our second day the first week in February.  Feb 1st will be our first Friday gathering and starting that day we will begin at 10:00 AM and end at 1:00 PM (I know that makes some of you very happy)!  I am excited about this additional day.   

   I would also like to offer a Saturday "Parent Chat" on Saturday January 26th from 10:30-12:00.  It would be great if it could be just parents, but I can also offer my two teenage girls to watch some children if you need to bring them with you (I completely understand).  I think it would be great to get together and talk about our group, preschool options (I know this decision is coming up for some of you), and anything else that's on your mind!  I am flexible with the date/time, but I would like to meet before we add our second day!  Let me know if this works for you.  I look forward to it! 

Have a great weekend!  See you next week, Joy  


Kristen took some pretty cute photos of some the children with her new camera.  I am including them below.  If you would like a copy of a particular photo emailed to you please let me know.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment